[lit-ideas] Re: Colorless Green Ideas Don't Sleep Furiously

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:46:14 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2009 1:53:38 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I was reflecting on colorlessness,  thinking that if something were truly
colorless, it would be invisble.   But tha't not true.  Black is the
closest
we come to experiencing  colorlessness and black things are certainly not
invisible.

---

Also, water, i.e. H20, in a clean glass.

Surely it's not _white_ as milk.

We say, 'colourless', or 'uncoloured'.

Oddly, while P. A. Stone mentions that some gases are ("for all practical
purposes", he adds, somewhat otiosely -- I for one would welcome an
'unpractical  purpose' -- call me anti-Utilitarian) colourless; water, when
boiled
_becomes_  colourful ('whitish' -- the white of the steam -- and similarly
for melted  water, or 'ice').

So, it's only in its liquid variety ('water') that H20 becomes truly
colourless -- and hence 'free' -- but cfr. Vodka.

JL Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=