[lit-ideas] Re: Colorless Green Ideas Don't Sleep Furiously

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:39:36 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2009 4:17:07 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
pastone@xxxxxxxxx writes:
"for all intents and purposes" is a  phrase which is commonly held to
mean [in your parlance, to implicate] "in  most normal cases". I was
trying to make my continued [in your words] otiose  additions/omissions
make more sense to YOU by changing the 'all' to 'most'  and therefore
becoming more literal -- something which you tend to need.---

---

I see. Yes, it was an excellent point. I have never used any of those IR
army goggles or SEMs.

I wonder if they may make visible (K. T.)'s missing shade of blue.

-----

I'm pleased 'IR' stands for infra-red. I thought it was Irish  Republic.

SEM stands for scanning electron microscope.

So those make visible which is very _small_ (hence 'micro') and not  just
colourless.

The OED defines 'infra-red' as "invisible", which is elliptical in need of
"to the human eye". I find that offensive and anthropocentric, the
ellipsis.

'infrared': "it is invisible, and most of the radiation from bodies below
red heat is emitted in this form."

1881 Nature XXV. 162 The infra-red end of the spectrum.

1896 Allbutt's Syst. Med. I. 254

All portions of the spectrum powerfully affect the microbes except the red
and the infra-red rays.

          --- I fail to see  what microbes have to do with this.

1926 Encycl. Brit. I. 946/2 Extending beyond the red end of the visible
spectrum there are 9 octaves of infra-red radiation overlapping with very
short  Hertzian waves... A. Glacolewa-Arkadiewa..has created Hertzian waves of
only  0·082 mm. in wave length.

Here above they use 'visIBLE' spectrum. Surely that should be 'viSED'
spectrum, for even the infra-red IS visible (with IR army goggles).

1929 Punch's Almanack for 1930 4 Nov. p. xxxvii (Advt.),

These are like the health-giving rays of heat emitted by the sun -- those
short infra-red rays that..enfold you with their beneficial warmth.

1932 HARDY & PERRIN Princ. Optics xi. 234

Photographs of landscapes taken by infrared light have the general
appearance of night scenes because the sky appears dark and the high reflectance
of chlorophyl gives foliage the appearance of intense local lighting...
Photographs of extremely distant objects are made possible by infrared light
because of its greater penetration through atmospheric haze.

Oddly, Geary's closet is also infra-red.

1935 Practitioners Libr. Med. & Surg. VIII. I. viii. 168

Infra-red radiation..produces the sensation of heat when it comes in
contact with the body. This form of radiant energy is produced..by any heated
body.

          --- Again, a  philosophical connection with air-conditioners.

1939 Jrnl. R. Aeronaut. Soc. XLIII. 1012

Heating elements such as the steam radiator, which does not glow, emit
infra-red energy of long wave-lengths (far infra-red). The filament lamp, like
the sun, is a source of near infra-red energy. This is the portion of the
spectrum which lies chiefly in the wave-lengths slightly longer than the red
 visible radiation.

               I like the use of 'like' above. I would say that the sun is
like the lamp, not  that the lamp is like the sun.

1957 House & Garden Dec. 99

An electric Rotary Spit that automatically turns joints, steaks, chops, or
poultry under penetrating infra-red heat.

1910 Photogr. Jrnl. Oct. 320 The idea of photographing landscapes through
the infra-red screen. Ibid. 330 In the infra-red photograph the shadows are
practically black and the sky is very dark.

          --- Shadows are  almost _always_ black. And 'dark', is that a
colour or a shade? Explain? Can  white have a dark shade? Opp. light.

1929 Brit. Jrnl. Photogr. 29 Mar. 183/2

By comparing the results of ordinary photography..with those of infra-red
photography.

1935 Practitioners Libr. Med. & Surg. VIII. I. viii. 169

The wavelength used in infra-red therapy is not of particular importance.
It is mainly a determining factor in the penetration or the depth which the
heat  reaches.

1951 MRAK & MACKINNEY in M. B. Jacobs Chem. & Technol. Food &  Food
Products (ed. 2) III. xxxiii. 1787

Infrared lamps have been installed in a plant for natural dried cod to
reduce the moisture from about 60 to 43%.

         As Geary would say, the  humeidity.

1954 ‘J. CHRISTOPHER’ 22nd Century 197

He went through to the kitchen, switched the infra-red heater off and
collected his breakfast.

1963 F. C. WEBB Biochem. Engin. xvii. 482

Small catering-size infra-red heaters are in limited use for grilling.

1968 Times 9 Dec. 7/2 Infra-red galaxies..are just one of several types of
cosmic objects being studied in the booming new science of infra-red
astronomy.

1932 Discovery Sept. 292/1 These infra-red plates are not as a rule made
sensitive to the green and orange, although they retain their sensitivity to
blue.

         -- So Geary is possibly  right that one should be glad that the
grass is not orange. Oddly 'green' means  'that which GROWS', so Geary is
right that colour words are arbitrary. (As  opposed to onomatopoetic words which
are not arbitrary -- if fewer).

1938 Encycl. Brit. Bk. Yr. 1938 500/1

New films for aerial photography included a fast infra-red film.

1961 Daily Mail 20 July 6/3 Midas picks up a rocket by detecting the
intense heat of its exhaust flame with an infra-red eye.

1973 Daily Tel. (Colour Suppl.) 11 May 44/3

Another student..wants the astronauts to photograph volcanoes with
infra-red film which records temperature differences on the Earth rather than
grades of light.

        -- very enthusiastic, if you ask  me.

1881 Philosophical Magazine XI. 167 Experiments supposed to prove the
existence of lines in the infra-red.

                but failing.

1887 Encycl. Brit. XXII. 376/1 Becquerel finds lines in the infra-red at
11,420.

1923 GLAZEBROOK Dict. Appl. Physics IV. 533/2 Such solids as rock-salt have
 a very strong absorption band for light in the far infra-red.

1937 JENKINS & WHITE Fund. Optics i. 13

On the long-wavelength side of the visible lies the infrared, which may be
said to merge into the radio waves at about 4 × 10-2 cm.

1960 CONN & AVERY Infrared Methods p. v,

By restricting attention to the range from 1 to 25 we have limited the
interest to the ‘near infrared’ but even this embraces a range of some four to
 five octaves.

1966 HOUGHTON & SMITH Infra-Red Physics i. 1

The infra-red is that region of the electromagnetic spectrum which lies
between the visible and microwave regions, i.e. between wavelengths of about
8000 Å (= 0·8 ) and 1 mm.

1973 Sci. Amer. Feb. 89/2 The laser's output was in the  infrared.

Oddly, while dogs are clumsy in vision (and only perceive black and white)
a very similar animal (mammal) as the cat can see very well (and some say
infra-red) at night. Why? (O. T. O. H., dogs, as if to balance, hear better
than  felines -- why?)

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
  Buenos Aires, Argentina