[lit-ideas] Re: Colorless Green Ideas Don't Sleep Furiously

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:57:52 -0400

> In the case of the 'eye', Anthony Appiah calls this the 'stereoscopy'. I.e.
>  Do the experiment: blind your left eye and you'll see that figures (while
> retaining their colour) loose a sense of 'profundity' or depth. The reason:
> as  we say in 'stereo' music -- two loudspeakers, to appreciate the basses
> better:  two eyes see better than one.
>
> Other than that, I always found otiose that humans should have two, rather
> than, like the cyclops of Ancient Antiquity, only one eye.

"Other than that"? The parallax view is essential to human experience.

Incidentally, I was reading David Baldacci's "the Camel Club" over the
weekend and he wrote in one place that Burkas are designed to
eliminate a woman's peripheral vision so that she must turn her head
to look at something. This gives the man full information about where
his wife (i.e. property) is looking. WOW, those male oppressors are
diabolical shitheads. Of course, the whole thing may be an old wives
tale -- except there are probably few 'old' wives to tell that sort of
thing.