[lit-ideas] Re: Back to Leprechauns

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:04:09 -0000

Yeah that old oppressive master narrative, demeaning and
threatening diverse groups who inhabit a different energy
layer... or not.
<<<<<<<<

this too is from my link:

“I can say that we have never suspended or terminated or
disciplined or otherwise troubled any student at any time about
religious issues. It’s never even come up as an issue,” says
Goldman, who also teaches a comparative religion class at the
school.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

this is from Averill's blog (it's about his high school)

I had worked my ass off on my invention, and I was hoping for a
day filled with homemade technological delights.

What I got instead were thirty students who had all made
identical toilet paper tube fans. Basically one student had
worked out how to connect a battery to an electric motor with a
propeller on it, and glued both to the inside of a toilet paper
tube. Voila, a handheld fan. The rest of the students, being
stupid and lazy, copied this marvelous 'invention' to a T. They
even used the same parts and left out the obvious addition of a
switch. I was more than a little put off. That's when I came to
Dan's invention. Dan was a special lad, not technically retarded
but inclined to behave like a thug due to his enormous frame and
less than generous wit. Dan was commonly being punished for
stealing other student's possessions, and threatening them with
violence if they told on him. Sufficed to say, he was not Nobel
Prize material.

Dan's invention was a 2 by 4 piece of lumber with an electric
motor nailed to one end, and a wheel nailed to the other. There
was a rubber belt connecting the motor to the wheel, so that when
activated, both wheels would turn. Dan titled this revolutionary
(har har) invention "Cause and Effect".

not that this Art Institute has the right to expel him for being
a jerk.