[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you delighted you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:29:59 +0100 (BST)

Eric, I think I assumed that when you said

> Just as we know that the CIA installed the Shah of
> Iran. But
> what few realize is that prior to that, the Soviets
> controlled Iran

that was what you meant.  There wasn't a coup (I
believe), there was a forced abdication of Reza Shah
and an installation of Mohammed Reza Pahlavi (his
son),   in 1941 (I thought, that is the date I have)
following an invasion of Iran by Britain and the
Soviet Union.

But there was a CIA-backed "coup" in 1953 (I should
have mentioned this but was focussing on the
installation of the Shah), after (in 1951) the Iranian
parliament, led by Mossadegh's nationalist party,
voted to nationalise the oil industry.  Shortly
afterwards, Mossadegh became Prime Minister. Britain
was the main aggrieved party economically and tried to
get the US to join a coup attempt.  Truman refused.
Britain later managed to get Eisenhower to agree by
using anti-Communist arguments; Mossadegh wasn't
closely allied to the Iranian Communist Party but
hadn't acted decisively against them.  (But that
wasn't why the British were annoyed.)

Stalin, who had been seriously ill for a while, died
before that coup.

> In 1946
> parts of Iran were occupied by British forces and
> the Red
> Army had occupied the northern parts.

Yes.  (As a preventive invasion, in 1941, against
Iran's joining or aiding the Axis Powers -- as above.)
And the USSR refused to withdraw its troops on the
agreed date in 1946, and there was a mini-crisis. But
there wasn't a coup, nor was the Shah installed then.
(See above.)

Judy Evans, Cardiff

The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from
your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html