[lit-ideas] Re: Are they synonymous?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:09:37 EST

I was attempting to ask what the real life usage of the two terms meant in
different parts of the country.  Where I live "Latino" is rarely heard
--"Hispanic" is frequent.  Just trying to decipher and understand if there  are
real
differences between the words around the country and beyond.

Btw, the thing which made me curious about this was a CNN article referring
to "Latinos".  My sister-in-law who is from the DR refers to Hispanics.  Just
wondering.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Are they
synonymous?  Date: 1/27/2007 2:27:58 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_rpaul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Anyone can access an on-line   dictionary...

Sorry I bothered. What do you mean by local usage? The  usage of the
major newspapers in your city or state? The way guys talk  in the back
room of Joe's Garage? School kids? Politicians? Hispanics  talking
among themselves? For me, the usage on CNN, in the national  newspapers
(NYT, USA Today, WSJ, LA Times, Washington Post) is local  usage. It's
the way we talk now. Or don't. I suspect that 'local  usage' when not
pejorative, mostly mirrors what people hear in the  media and in the
popular culture.

What's it like where you  are?

Robert  Paul