[lit-ideas] Re: Are they synonymous?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:27:30 -0800

Anyone can access an on-line  dictionary...

Sorry I bothered. What do you mean by local usage? The usage of the major newspapers in your city or state? The way guys talk in the back room of Joe's Garage? School kids? Politicians? Hispanics talking among themselves? For me, the usage on CNN, in the national newspapers (NYT, USA Today, WSJ, LA Times, Washington Post) is local usage. It's the way we talk now. Or don't. I suspect that 'local usage' when not pejorative, mostly mirrors what people hear in the media and in the popular culture.

What's it like where you are?

Robert Paul