[lit-ideas] Re: Are they synonymous?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:15:51 EST

<<For  what it's worth, 'local' usage, as determined by references in the
Oregonian seems to be that 'hispanic' is used when referring to
government policies, etc., and 'latino' ('latina') a more self-applied
term. Sometimes 'Mexican American' is used, but this term is
contentious insofar as many people (immigration hard-liners) believe
it to be an oxymoron.>>
See. THAT's what I was after -- local  usages around the country and abroad.
Anyone can access an on-line  dictionary, but anyone can't live where
everyone else lives and know the current  local use of words.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Are they
synonymous?  Date: 1/27/2007 2:06:04 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_rpaul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The usage of "hispanic" and "latino".   Are they  interchangeable where you
> are, everyone, anyone?   Are there nuances to  each, or ways in which they
are
> used  differently in your area?

The American Heritage® Book of English  Usage.
A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English.   1996.

6. Names and Labels: Social, Racial, and Ethnic Terms

§ 36.  Hispanic

Hispanic and Latino are both widely used in American English as  terms
for a person of Spanish-language heritage living in the United  States.
Though often used interchangeably, they are not identical, and  in
certain contexts the choice between them can be significant.  Hispanic,
from the Latin word for “Spain,” is arguably the broader  term,
potentially encompassing all Spanish-speaking peoples in  both
hemispheres and emphasizing the common denominator of language  among
communities that sometimes have little else in common. Latino,  which
is probably derived from the Spanish word for “Latin American,”  refers
more exclusively to persons or communities of Latin American  origin.
Of the two, only Hispanic can be used in referring to Spain  and its
history and culture; a native of Spain residing in the United  States
is a Hispanic, not a Latino, and you cannot substitute Latino  in the
phrase the Hispanic influence on native Mexican cultures  without
garbling the meaning.

In practice, the geographic  distinction between Hispanic and Latino is
of little significance when  referring to residents of the United
States, since the great majority  of people in this group are of
Latin-American origin and can be  denoted by either word. A more
important difference stems from the  claim that Latino is a term of
ethnic pride in a way that Hispanic,  with its perceived echo of
Spanish imperialism, is not. According to  this view, Hispanic lacks
the authenticity and flavor of Latino, which  is derived directly from
Spanish and can change to Latina to indicate  female gender. A further
objection to Hispanic is that it is the term  most often used in formal
or official contexts—as on government  applications or census forms—and
as such bears the stamp of an  establishment that to some seems far
removed from the community (or  communities) these words refer to.

While these views are strongly held by  many, they are by no means
universal, and the division is as much  geographical as it is
political. Latino is overwhelmingly preferred in  California whereas
Hispanic is the clear choice in Florida as well as  in Texas and most
of the Southwest (though in these regions Chicano is  also widely
used). In other areas and in the national media, usage  tends to be
mixed. An outsider is best advised to follow the  prevailing custom
wherever it can be determined, but you need not  worry in most
situations about giving offense, since both terms remain  current and
in many contexts continue to overlap.

Note that  Hispanic and Latino refer only to language and culture;
neither term  should be thought of as specifying racial makeup. You
should also keep  in mind that the growing Hispanic population of the
United States is  made up of people from many different national and
ethnic backgrounds  who do not necessarily compose a single unified
community. Whenever  possible you should consider substituting a term
such as Mexican  American, Cuban American, or Puerto Rican for the
broader Hispanic or  Latino.

The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. Copyright © 1996  by
Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights  reserved.
For what it's worth,  'local' usage, as determined by references in the
Oregonian seems to  be that 'hispanic' is used when referring to
government policies,  etc., and 'latino' ('latina') a more self-applied
term. Sometimes  'Mexican American' is used, but this term is
contentious insofar as  many people (immigration hard-liners) believe
it to be an  oxymoron.

Robert Paul
Reed  College