[lit-ideas] Re: A rose by any other name...

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:24:27 +0100

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2138878,00.html

excerpt below, but please read it all

"Iraqi officials have consistently complained about the conduct of Blackwater
and other contractors - and the legal barriers to their attempts to investigate
or prosecute alleged wrongdoing. Four years into the occupation, there is
absolutely no effective system of oversight or accountability governing
contractors and their operations. They have not been subjected to military
justice, and only two cases have ever reached US civilian courts, under the
Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act, which covers some contractors
working abroad. (One man was charged with stabbing a fellow contractor, in a
case that has yet to go to trial, while the other was sentenced to three years
for possession of child-pornography images on his computer at Abu Ghraib
prison.) No matter what their acts in Iraq, contractors cannot be prosecuted in
Iraqi courts, thanks to US-imposed edicts dating back to Paul Bremer's
post-invasion Coalition Provisional Authority."

and note that Blackwater employees are apparently less subject to prosecution
than US
soldiers.

  From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Tue, Sep-18-2007 8:37 AM
  I have, of course, no idea what happened in this instance.  But I am concerned
  about Blackwater.  I've read various in-depth accounts, this is the only
  thing I could find quickly (I hadn't read it before).

  http://prairieweather.typepad.com/the_scribe/2007/03/blackwater_usa_.html

  Judy Evans, Cardiff