[lit-ideas] Re: "A Proposition Is A Fact" (Tractatus)

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:03:10 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 22/4/09, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I  would be surprised if Witters or Poppers knew Greek
> or Latin, so
> possibly  Xenophanes escaped them.

Popper knew Greek and indeed, and somewhat controversially, did his own
translations of many Greek texts he used (his last book, "The World Of
Parmenides" features, inter alia, his account of some shocking mistranslations
of ancient Greek fragments; he also got into a debate with Kirk and someone
else [Spock?] which gave rise to a chapter or two in his 'C&R'). I think he may
have been 'self-taught' when he was working in NZealand.

Can't provide the Greek for Xenophanes and my reference to him is because of
Popper's reference to a key fragment that he takes as adumbrating his own
philosophy ("Even if a man were to utter the ultimate truth, he could not know
it...For all is but a woven web of guesses").

Donal
"It's all gaelic to me" - Beckett
"Taking grammar lessons from him is like taking syphillis from a whore" - Anon.
London