[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:55:57 -0500

At 02:54 PM 1/4/2006, you wrote:

The Scouts here stopped barring gays in 1997.  They
bar paedophiles (and atheists).

Wow... that is too funny [the atheist part] not to be true.

When people ask me about what religion I am or whether I believe in God etc. I don't know what to say.
I'm not religious in any way, shape or form -- I think it's absolutely silly to be so -- of course, like Socrates found out, it's pretty hard going walking around telling people how silly they are. Even in this place, people (some who are even atheists) get offended very easily.

On the other hand, I've not gone whole hog and said "of course there's no god" the way a Bertrand Russell or Richard Dawkins might. Deep down in the cockles (as Denis Leary would say) "maybe even in the sub-cockular area" I cannot possibly imagine not existing, so I have to live as though there is a 'me' in some still-aware form after death.

Would that make me agnostic? I think I'm a little more rabid than agnostic. I just don't feel there is a word for me, although I'm sure someone can come up with a word for me.

possibly not [at least in Wales] boy scout material

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada