[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:37:13 -0800

On Jan 3, 2006, at 8:16 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

It's funny.

Homosexual males are the nicest guys in the world. Women (well, girls in College at least) adore them -- they are sensative, funny, and won't try to force sexual relations. They're the best dates out there.
Personally I have no ethical issue with homosexuality. God made lots of different people in lots of differnt ways.

But I keep wondering why male sexuality strikes a blow to (both female & male) guts where female homosexuality doesn't.

Men seem to be "turned on" by women loving women, while women are most definately not remotely turned on by even notions, much less pictures, of men engaging in intamcey.

Among the stranger scenes from my wife's medical education was a special event in the "Human Sexuality" course. "Significant others"-- that would be me-- were invited, so we all piled into the auditorium, passed around popcorn and watched "Behind the Green Door"-- heterosexual fare--a movie about older couples, a movie about gay women, a movie about gay men, all explicit down the last detail of who did what to whom. Perhaps because this was California, or maybe the audience was extraordinarily broad-minded, but everyone seemed to agree that it all looked very much like well-lubricated friction of various kinds. Sex. Some of it seemed to involve intimacy and joy. Some of it was merely motions.

So far into that generous state of mind was I, that when I called my father to talk about early reports of a new disease I was covering for the local newspaper--something newly called "AIDS"--he shocked me by asking if I really wanted to write about "such matters."

The world changes only slowly.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon