[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 01:55:03 EST

In a message dated 1/3/2006 6:48:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Suddenly I see gay rights as civil rights. I fought for civil rights for
black people. Now I fight for civil rights for gays. But if my son wasn't gay,
would not be thinking this way. I have a personal stake in seeing that my
son is treated justly.

How do you bring it home to people without a personal stake in  it?

Hi, Stan,
Thanks for the post.

Tonight was a night--so not much energy left ... but I do want to respond
somewhat to your post.

Mostly--just to point out--as far as I know, you are not Black. Yet, you  say
that you fought for civil rights for Blacks.  Why?  Did you have,  really, a
personal stake in it?

(I'm guessing not, but you can make it more clear...)

So, I will state that maybe you wouldn't be fighting so hard for civil
rights for those who are gay--but I would imagine (just knowing who you are)
that
you would eventually have figured out that there was an equality issue--and
that when people are people, there is a fairness issue to think about in terms
of civil rights.

I think you would have eventually 'fought' for gay civil rights. Maybe for  a
different reason than you are now--but you would have.

Even within scouting, part of the Scout Oath is 'to help other people at  all
times'--so once the 'protective' side is dealt with and there is an
assurance that the boys (and girls--for venturing is co-ed), will be safe and
that
there is a difference between what the NAMBLA-types of parties/groups state
and
conduct as the homosexual lifestyle [for that, actually, is the stereotype
that you wondered at--for though a minority, they are vocal]--and the TRUE and
mainstream gay lifestyle [which is like you/me/rest of us--we will (I think)
find that many of those who have been confused will end up being the greatest
 advocates.

and, absolutely it is scary to wonder if your kid is going to be  okay.  And,
we all want our kids' lives to be smooth and easy.  It's  hard to face it
when it is not that way--it's SO hard. It's also hard to accept  that we cannot
always make things 'okay'.  That we are not ... who we think  we are.  (or
something like that...)  Part of what you are dealing  with is what lots of
parents have to deal with on a regular basis if they have  had a child who is
different/ill/etc at all.  For some it is a loss of a  dream--but for others,
it is
that protective spirit that wants to smooth and  make better for those you
love, most of all.  When you find out that  you cannot 'fix' everything--esp
immediately--it's really hard to deal with, I  grant you.

Sidenote:  You son IS fine. If he's lonely--just remember, it sounds  like he
is in a new city, far from home/friends [you said he has had lots, so we
know he is social], from the East Coast and now in the Midwest [yes, there will

be a cultural adjustment <wry look> ], he's working a lot/hard, etc.   Those
aspects of his life would cause anyone, gay or straight [for lack of a  more
quickly grasped term] to be lonely.  Someone is going to know someone  who will
know someone--and he'll end up in and with a partner and be happier  than you
ever dreamed he could/would be.  He/you need to just give it time  and know
that the issue is 'newness''.

As far as your recognizing that you needed to do some more inside work [as
Jung liked to term it <g>], Hey!  Welcome to MY world!

and, I THINK this might have been posted on this list in April (if not,  then
I have it from somewhere else...<g>...but I liked it enough to make a  little
plaque of it...).  I like it because it reminds me to take what the  Universe
offers--good and bad--and give thanks.  At  least it helps me  know that one
can transmute the (seemingly) negative into positive.  and,  oh! I grant
you...facing yourself, your shadow--is sometimes quite  difficult...but oh--it
is
worth it!  Well worth it...so keep on  growing...

Guest House
This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out for some new delight.

The dark thought, the sham, the malice, meet them
at the door laughing, and invite them in. Be
grateful for whoever comes, because each has been
sent as a guide from beyond.

by Rumi

Best,
Marlena in Missouri