[Linux-Discussion] Re: 128 meg drive

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linux-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:19:58 -0500

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 22:17, you wrote:
> In a message dated 6/19/01 10:23:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> landerso@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> <<  All this about Linux having less software available than
>  windows is a laughable and flagrant falsehood. >>
>
> All that talk about using linux on an old 486 is a falsehood too.  A 486
> did not come w/a drive large enough to hold any current version of
> Linux.  I have a bunch of old machines...none of which I can use cause
> Linux is so BIG :-)

Eh-hehm.  486's rock.

Now, if you're wanting to run X and Netscape and all sorts of user-level
crud, then yeah, a 486 can't handle it (unless you've got a lot of RAM,
maybe), but I've run a lot of boxes on 486's, and they do quite well for a
lot of stuff.

FreeLists started on a 486, but the motherboard would only support 20 megs
of RAM.  I finally got a grip and realized that processing thousands of
emails at once won't happen on 20 megs, and upgraded a bit.  But that 486
rocked for little stuff. :)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA