[Linux-Anyway] Re: Now I know why I didn't see this

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:44:01 -0700 (PDT)

> >   What?  You mean to tell me that she ~doesn't~ want a bigger
> > penis?;-)

> Y'know, I was going to make a joke about that, but decided it
> was too vulgar.  :)

  Oh, sure.  Leave that to me.  Thanks;-).

> > > It's the busiest of all the lists I'm on today--I don't
> > > feel like looking at my shell scripts, playing with that
> > > printer, or anything else contructive.  :)

> >   And to think, we only have seven people subscribed....

> 7 bored people?  :)

  No doubt.  But I'm liable to go find something on television
soon too.

> >   Or, maybe, I'll start a new treand of helping instead of
> > bitching...?  OK.  So, I'm a dreamer.

> Oh puhleeze--I was answering their questions, just lecturing
> them as I did it. :)

  Yeah, yeah.  Lecture ~this~!;-)

> >   Just you wait.  Virtual Reality will come to the masses, &
> > you will ~pay~ for that remark;-).

> And several others, too, I assume--did you catch what I called
> you recently on one of the lists?  I figured you missed it
> that's why you let me get away with it--or maybe because I
> buried it in a plug for this list.  :)

  That & the fact it really didn't have any other opening for
anyone else to get in there.  So, I let it go -- rather, I put in
my secret files...for later.  You'll see!;-)

> >   But does it really matter ~why~ one comes to Linux?  The
> > fact is that many ~are~ coming.  How & who does it serve to
> > alienate them?

> Tough love?  :)

> Y'know, one attitude of some of the gurus is "I learned the
> hard way, let them learn or let them get off the boat."

  Sure.  But be practical.  Why are more coming?  Because M$
alienates those with any brains & because Linux is getting
better.  But what incentive will there be to push those
advances in Linux if we just push every newbie back to Windows?

> >   And then there will be us on Linux-Anyway to ease them from
> > their gui to the command line & will have the problem fixed
> > in a tenth the time.  Plus, that newbie will be a Linux user,
> > instead of one who simply tried it & couldn't get anything
> > working.

> Yup, that's a high ideal--still somewhat surprising that
> someone as grouchy and impatient with stupidity as yourself is
> founding it. :)

  That's the point.  Eventually any Linux user with half a brain
will see the stupidity in fighting the current.  Help them, & we
get a better Linux & set of apps sooner.

--
  Lo!  Men have become the tool of their tools.
  -Henry David Thoreau