[Linux-Anyway] Re: Copying audio CD's the easiest way

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:49:01 -0800 (PST)

> >   When have you ~not~ had the solution to our problems?  All
> > hale;-).

> Probably more often than you seem to remember :)

  Uh, sure.  The "mostly" right Godwin;-).

> >   I imagine it will, but getting the work visa....

> But that's just it. Will you need a work visa then? It might be
> possible for you to turn up, start working, and use your work
> contract as grounds for applying for residence in Poland.

  As it appears today (it keeps changing), yes.  Even Brits -- in
spite of being brothers in the EU -- will have to apply.  It's
all so incredibly stupid.  Of course, as an American, there are
~some~ things which will be possible for me which are not
available to others because of the political situation (always
subject to change) between the US & Poland, but as the US makes
things more difficult for other countries, other countries
(including Poland) are making things more difficult for the US.

  Ah, if only we could do away with money & politicians....

> If I were you I'd seek advice from the Polish embassy in DC,
> asking specific questions about what's going to happen after
> May 1st rather than what the state of affairs is right now.

> http://www.polandembassy.org

  All I can get from there is the "letter of the law".  They
won't even address any of the common back doors (which are legal,
but not advertised).  Besides, it's all very Kafka-esque when
dealing with Poland's official people.

> One thing you're going to be fighting against wherever you go
> in Europe is the comparative unpopularity of American citizens
> after the Saddam saga.

  Oh, yes.  I know this, but I have -- at least before anyone
sees any paperwork showing where I'm from -- the talent to blend
in.  When living with Jews in NYC, everyone in that community
believed me Jewish; when I lived in London (even without the
slightest British accent) even Brits assumed I was from
somewhere in Britain.

  Officials will, of course, make everything difficult.  With any
luck, I'll find some tolerable EU woman who likes me enough that
I can marry & just blend in nicely with, at least, permanent
residency somewhere.

> I had similar problems while trying to set up my business and I
> wouldn't have succeeded in getting anywhere had the British
> embassy in Paris not slapped the local authorities around the
> face with a wet trout a few times for trying to interpret the
> regulations in rather imaginative ways.

  I should think French officials get a lot of that...well, they
look as though, anyway;-).

--
  "Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ends -- tell me
  where to get more wax!!"