[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Question about english computer braille tables

  • From: Yuemei Sun <yuemei.sun@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:56:03 -0800

Great! Thanks, John.

Yuemei

On 2/17/2012 6:21 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
Hi Yuemei,

The tables are ok. The comp6 opcode overrides uplow, so en-us-comp6.ctb
will produce the dot pattern 456-1 for uppercase a.

John
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:22:49AM -0800, Yuemei Sun wrote:
Hi, John,

Thank you for the explanation.  For the en-us-comp6.ctb, there are two
places that mention the A, one is "uplow Aa 17,1", the other is "comp6 A
456-1".  The "uplow Aa" is not defined as "456-1,1"as you mentioned.  Is
the table in SVN repository for en-us-comp6.ctb not updated?

Thanks,
Yuemei

On 2/14/2012 2:09 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
I decided to check this out. Hopefully others will have comments also.
The general question is which tables are for computer braille. There may
be different computer braille tables for different languages. Some of
the g0 tables seem to be for computer braille.

Of the U.S. English tables, en-us-compbrl.ctb should probably be
ignored. en-us-comp8.ctb contains 8-dot computer braille. Uppercase
letters have dot 7 added to the dots for the lowercase letters. In U.S.
English computer braille uppercase letters require two cells. They are
preceded by dots 456. Thus in en-us-comp6.ctb we have the entry

uplow Aa 456-1,1

John

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:33:00AM -0800, Yuemei Sun wrote:
Can anybody explain the use of the three American English braille
tables, en-us-comp6.ctb, en-us-comp8.ctb, and en-us-compbrl.ctb?  I
looked at the table, it looks to me that only the en-us-comp6.ctb has
entries defining 8 dot compuer braille for upper case letters.  The same
table also has "comp6 A 456-1" entry.  In this case, what will upper
case A be translated into, one cell with dot patter 17, or two cells
with pattern "456-1"?  In other words, what table should I use if I want
6-dot US computer braille, and what table is for 8-dot US computer
braille?

Yuemei Sun

Software Engineer
yuemei.sun@xxxxxxxxxxxx