[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Question about english computer braille tables

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:09:23 -0600

I decided to check this out. Hopefully others will have comments also.
The general question is which tables are for computer braille. There may
be different computer braille tables for different languages. Some of
the g0 tables seem to be for computer braille.

Of the U.S. English tables, en-us-compbrl.ctb should probably be
ignored. en-us-comp8.ctb contains 8-dot computer braille. Uppercase
letters have dot 7 added to the dots for the lowercase letters. In U.S.
English computer braille uppercase letters require two cells. They are
preceded by dots 456. Thus in en-us-comp6.ctb we have the entry

uplow Aa 456-1,1

John