[leveller] Re: Tablet survey

  • From: "Oshyan Greene" <oshyan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:16:48 -0800

I'm the owner of a somewhat older Wacom Intuos and standard 2 button + tip
and eraser pen (4 "buttons" total). Ideally I would like to see a similar
level of support to that provided by Photoshop, where you can control
*multiple* aspects of a given brush/tool with the various sensing styles and
buttons/inputs of the tablet and pen.

The two major sensing abilities of my particular tablet are pressure and
tilt angle. There is also the difference between the tip and eraser, as well
as the two buttons to contend with. The buttons are usually assigned
standard mouse functions like left and right click, but it might be nice to
have a mode in Leveller that could support specific Leveller functions for
them (undo, redo perhaps?), if that's possible.

In Photoshop you can assign pen pressure to things like brush width,
opacity, saturation, lightness, scattering, and more, and you can even
assign 1 sensor input to multiple controls, so the harder you pressed the
wider *and* darker a brush stroke will be. I find this functionality
*extremely* useful.

Is it particularly difficult to create this kind of generalized system,
where the program takes multiple sensor inputs from the device and can
assign them to multiple functions of the program? If so my general
preference would be for "brush/effect strength" to be associated with
pressure. In tools that have no "strength", it should be associated with
another logical parameter like width.

- Oshyan