[LRflex] Re: tikwa with Fuji X100

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:25:18 -0400

On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:03 PM, George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2011, at 10:24 PM, tedgrant@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> One can ask quite reasonably, "why pay $7000.00 for a Leica when whatever
>> the price is for a Fuji X100 that produces and records images as sharp and
>> crisp as this? Is it not a reasonable question?
>

> If we were to compare 16x20 prints;
> or the need to do some serious crop an image;
> or lens interchangeability;
> or dynamic range;
> orâ?¦
> well not really comparable.

The M9 does win on those points. If you need 16x20s, serious cropability, or
changeable lenses, and especially if you want your camera bag not to weigh 20
or 30 pounds - the M9 is practically incomparable.

But what if the Question was limited to whether the X100 and an M9 were equally
suitable for getting images like this one of Tikwa?

I think questions about Suitability really muddy the clarity of choosing an M9
when there are a number of fine and interesting camera options available to
choose from.

Particularly so when Physical Print sharing is receiving such fierce
competition from Electronic Image sharing.

> Though your question certainly has relevance
> if your main interest is a medium wide focal length camera
> and the end result intended is 72ppi screen and/or 8x10 prints.
> Then - sure - why spend $7k when you can meet your intentions for $1.2

As a gateway camera/drug ;-) to an M like paradigm, I find the x100 wunderbar.
If the Leica X2 plays in the same playground, Leica might be able to pay even
more dividends to stockholders.

R.