[LRflex] Re: tikwa with Fuji X100

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:52:34 -0700

On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Richard Ward wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:03 PM, George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 1, 2011, at 10:24 PM, tedgrant@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> One can ask quite reasonably, "why pay $7000.00 for a Leica when whatever
>>> the price is for a Fuji X100 that produces and records images as sharp and
>>> crisp as this? Is it not a reasonable question?
>>

>> If we were to compare 16x20 prints;
>> or the need to do some serious crop an image;
>> or lens interchangeability;
>> or dynamic range;
>> or…
>> well not really comparable.
>
> The M9 does win on those points. If you need 16x20s, serious cropability, or
> changeable lenses, and especially if you want your camera bag not to weigh 20
> or 30 pounds - the M9 is practically incomparable.
>
> But what if the Question was limited to whether the X100 and an M9 were
> equally suitable for getting images like this one of Tikwa?
>
> I think questions about Suitability really muddy the clarity of choosing an
> M9 when there are a number of fine and interesting camera options available
> to choose from.
>
> Particularly so when Physical Print sharing is receiving such fierce
> competition from Electronic Image sharing.
>
>> Though your question certainly has relevance
>> if your main interest is a medium wide focal length camera
>> and the end result intended is 72ppi screen and/or 8x10 prints.
>> Then - sure - why spend $7k when you can meet your intentions for $1.2
>
> As a gateway camera/drug ;-) to an M like paradigm, I find the x100 wunderbar.
> If the Leica X2 plays in the same playground, Leica might be able to pay even
> more dividends to stockholders.

the Fuji X100 offers no real competition to the M9 and its stable of lenses. It
is however an extremely likeable and sophisticated P & S that is capable of
wonderfully, incredibly detailed and subtle images that have strong appeal to
people who have knowledge and taste.  Looking and feeling like a rangfinder it
has the uncanny ability to produce pictures that will blow you away, and it can
do this even when set to fully automatic and autofocus mode....

Steve

.