[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V8 #140

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 17:46:50 -0700

Tina Manley SAID:
Subject: [LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V8 #140

> The lenses haven't changed.  I still have them and am using them with the
> R9
> and DMR back.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's so much better than
> the
> Canon DSLRs that I tried until Leica came out with the digital M and DMR.
> plan to continue using the R9 and DMR and my wonderful Leica R lenses.
> Every time I compare my Canon files with my Leica ones, I realize why I'm
> still using Leica lenses.
> Tina

Hi Tina,
I can quite openly say I made the major error of my photographic life in
selling my 3 R8 motor drive Leica's and the bulk of my Leica R glass. I
suppose I began losing faith with Leica Germany being run by a bunch of
Klutzenhiemer moron mental midgets from a business perspective!

By the same token that maybe an unkind remark. But I go back to the days
when I went to Wetzlar in the '60's early '70's and it was a class operation
of great human beings and technical people beyond your wildest imagination!

I never got the hully gullies over the DMR, it never gave me a sense of pure
Leica greatness as an add on! So I never got one. However over the years and
even though many have continued to work beautifully, so many have crashed
and burned, I honestly have to say.... "Thank goodness I didn't get one!"

However I kept my 280 2.8 with the extenders as I have adapters for my Canon
digital cameras. Results are not bad but "NOT LEICA LOOK A LIKES!" I have my
60mm macro I use with the Canons and they're not bad. However scan a Leica
Kodachrome and compare???????? None like it!

If they had got their act together and come out with an R10 digital I'd have
got one in the blink of an eye! However once again I see this as an affront
to the thousands of R users who would've gone to an R10 digital over night
simply because we are what we are..... "Complete believers in Leica gear as
it has always been. The best in the world." And yes we may be a tad bias,
but who cares?

And how many thousands of R 10 digital body sales were lost simply because
of the lack of business smarts... Oh yes we've all heard the monetary
problems?" But how bad could it have been if they could still design and
produce a digital camera the S2! Litterly thousands can not afford nor buy
because they do not shoot the type of commercial income producing
assignments to require a machine of this caliber!

However in my case, life goes on and I shoot SLR Canon now with some Leica R
adapted conversions on my weekly feature assignments. Do they have the LEICA
magic look? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! But the quality of the Canon is sufficient
that the client I'm shooting a weekly feature for is more than happy and I
get paid. And today that about sums up my feeling about equipment!

No question I love the M8 and with any kind of Luck an M9 is on the horizon!
But I'm not going to die if I don't get one as I'm constantly blown away
with the results of the M8 and my M lenses!

So endth the day!

cheers,
Dr. ted :)