[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V8 #140

  • From: W.B. Abbott <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 22:52:15 -0700

Hi Greg,

I share your emotions and feel let down too, and I have a strong dose of "they
done me wrong" as well, but it was plain for a more than a couple of years that
Leica was just not willing or able to make the change to digital that their
competitors were making, certainly for financial reasons and maybe for cultural
reasons, i.e., they believed their own advertising.

Someday I will follow you but there is nothing driving that decision now other
than the weight of my R9/DMR, and I have an M9 to use when weight is an issue.

I've become pretty philosophical about it. Leica is not the first to miss a
crucial turn in technology; Ford missed the turn to the manual clutch and
sliding gear transmission that was becoming a standard in the mid-1920s and
stayed with the old epicyclic Model T transmission until it was almost too
late.

Ford then refused to keep up with Chevrolet in other design matters until after
WW II when it was again almost too late.

Surprisingly, Ford did move to a V-8 engine in the early 1930s and it was
Chevrolet's turn to "fail to follow" for over twenty years, so the disease is
neither new nor an isolated phenomenon.

I believe Wright was offered the Whittle jet engine but turned it down,
preferring to keep on with their turbo-supercharged piston engines. You know
where that ended.

I'm sure there are many other stories like these as well. I heard a story the
other from a friend whose dad bought one of the first rubber-tired farm
tractors. All the neighbors came over to gawk and said the rubber tires
wouldn't last, that they would never replace the old reliable steel wheels then
in common use. Yup.

None the less, Leica did what they did and here we are, powerless to change the
past and unable to guarantee the future.

So enjoy learning to use the latest Whiz-bang camera, keep in touch and let us
know how you are doing.

I'm hoping you will have fun and make a lot of pictures that will please you.

All the best,

Bill