[LRflex] Re: Water Spots?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 07:54:19 -0700

Philippe Amard wrote:

>Afterthought ; I've seen  you were using the camera at 1600 ISO - have
>you tried lower settings?
>Might be weaknesses in the system - still in they tolerance range - but
>that would show only when ISO is set very high- but that's just one more
>guess
>Phileica

Hi Philippe!

The LeiCanon's performance at high ISO's is what makes me love digital.
I shoot a lot with the 400/6.8 Telyt and a 2x converter on a shoulder
stock, in order to fill the frame with small mammals and birds. It is a
very lightweight and very good,  if very slow, combination for the purpose.

Although I did the same with the R8 and ISO 400 film, I lost a lot of
otherwise good shots to camera shake.  Using ISO 1600 enables me to go
two shutter speeds higher, and my percentage of usable shots has risen
from 20% to 80%!  And, as ISO 1600, the 'noise' in the shots is much
less objectionable than the grain in ISO 1600 film.

The dust (water spots) problem seems independent of ISO speed, but does
seem to bear on what lens is being used.

-
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.