[LRFlex] Re: Panasonic FZ20

  • From: "Peter Werner" <pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:44:27 +0100

> For those who prefer manual cameras, the ergonomics and user interface
of
> the Lumix FZ models is superior to any under $1,000US camera that I
tried,
> including the Nikon that I wound up buying for other reasons. For one
> thing, the controls are readily understandable to the film camera
shooter.
> Within 5 minutes at the store, I was able to operate the camera in all
of
> its modes, which function just as one would expect. After more than a
year

I cannot but agree with this description. The Lumix is easy to learn for
a film camera shooter. If I compare it to the R9, you have the same type
of mode dial with settings for A (Aperture Priority), S (R9: T) Shutter
(Time) Priority, M (Manual) and P (Program AE mode). You do not have to
wade through layers upon layers of menus to find what you want.

For Metering Mode you can select Spot, Center weighted and Multiple
(Matrix). Selection is from the top level menu.

In addition, you select autofocus mode (9 area, 3 area, 1 area or spot).
It is logical and simple, again from the top level menu.

What I would call a stroke of genius is manual focusing. The selection
of Auto or Manual focus mode is by a switch on the lens, right under a
finger of your left hand. You can let the camera prefocus automatically
first. To fine tune, you slide the switch to Manual focus. When you then
rotate the distance ring of the lens, you see a magnified image of the
object you are focusing on in the center of the viewer. This makes it
very easy to focus precisely. When you stop rotating the MF ring, the MF
assistance disappears after about 2 seconds. I must admit, though, that
I usually use autofocus, it is good enough in most circumstances.

Neil already described Image Stabilization. You find this feature on
some Canon lenses where the lens alone costs 4 or 5 times the price of
the whole Lumix. In practical terms, it means you can use the zoom lens
hand held at full zoom extension (432mm equiv.). You gain about 3 to 4
exposure values. You can still get a sharp picture at 1/30 or even 1/15
second hand held where you would otherwise have to use 1/500 or a
tripod.

Last but not least: weight. The FZ20 weighs 650 grams, the R9 with the
35-70 zoom weighs 1.7kg. If you have to carry the R9 plus a longer lens,
often the difference amounts to having a camera with you or none. I have
the FZ20 with me almost permanently while I take the R9 only for a
specific assignment.

Since I bought the Lumix, I shoot much more and more often and the
results most of the time are excellent. I often prefer it even to the
R9, the Nikon F100 or the Canon 20D when I do not need prints bigger
than 11x16, low light conditions or some special lens, such as a
perspective correction wide angle. The DSLR remains my choice for static
macro work where I will use a tripod anyway.

I hope my comments have been useful.

Peter Werner

Peter

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm