[LRflex] Re: My new R3

  • From: wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:23:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Miha Golobic <miha.golobic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>My next purchase are going to be 35mm and 90mm lenses. I`m split
>between summicron and elmarit (2nd version). I tend to prefer lighter
>and more compact lenses. I´m not looking for unsurpassed sharpnes,
>instead I´m looking for nice out of focus areas and highlight
>rendition. So which way to go?

With the 90mm lenses, the Summicron has be softest out-of-focus rendition,
followed by the old (bigger) Elmarit.  The last version Elmarit has been
described as 'clinical', whatever that means, but most people who use this lens
like the small size and sharpness more than its out-of-focus rendition.  I have
no personal experience with the last-version Elmarit.  The Summicron is heavier
than either Elmarit.

With the 35mm lenses, you could do well with either the last version Elmarit or
second version Summicron (E55 filter threads on either one).  The Summicron is
especially known excellent flare control.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com