[LRflex] Re: IMG: more Goldeneye ducks

  • From: "wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:58:13 -0500

Richard Ward wrote:

I do have a terrific question of my own for Doug or the group in general.
Are any of the images shot with a 'Mirror' lens? The weird out of focus
donuts and unique bokeh of such Telephoto's might easily go bonkers when an
otherwise gorgeous image is scaled down.
<<<

I can think of only three photos on my website that were made with a mirror
lens:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/acwo00.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/acwo01.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/gifl00.html

The bokeh has little to do with scaling the image down, it's like this in
the original slides too.  In the last photo I evaded the typical mirror
lens bokeh with a plain blue sky but you can see the light fall-off toward
the edges, even when cropped from horizontal (as this photo was).  I found
it very hard to use this lens to get the 'look' I wanted in my photos.

I guess all I can add is that I'm viewing the images with firefox (in winxp
and OSX10.8 respectively) so maybe it's an issue with this specific browser
program itself, but the  issues with image quality I originally posted
about are ones I rarely encounter with other links from the group
independent of platform/monitor.
<<<

Perhaps this is an issue with the Goldeneye photos in particular?  Several
of these were cropped significantly in order to tell the story, something I
ordinarily try hard not to do.  I also don't have any current image
processing software like NeatImage or Bibble or whatever is the latest
thing... nor do I have the computer to run much of this software... so my
processing for these cropped images is crude by most standards and not as
good as I'd like to do.  I'm much happier with the photos that I don't have
to crop much if at all.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com