[LRflex] Re: IMG: more Goldeneye ducks

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:16:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi Doug,
   I just went to your Site, not for the first time, and opened some random
images under some random headings and definitely didn't encounter the 'harsh'
image factors I commented upon finding in the goldeneye post ones specifically
and others in general.
   I am at a loss to point to something specific causing issues I've seen
following post links. Since the 'post' links I'm commenting on aren't ones I
saw at the site visit, maybe the determining factor lays with specific images -
how the 'net is treating them, how isp's are manipulating them, or maybe it's
'Solar Flares!' :-).
Richard

Without seeing what's on your computer screen, a number of factors can be
in play here.  Some ISPs compress images before sending them to
subscribers, for faster dowload times, also much is lost when downsizing
from the original dimensions to 600 pixels wide (what I typically use).
I'm also using enough jpg compression to keep the web version of the file
to about 100k or smaller, as an attempt at finding a good balance between
image quality and download time.  Since I'm not exactly an unbiased
observer, perhaps those who have seen some of my prints can compare the
screen image with the prints.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com