[LRflex] Re: Design catastrophe

  • From: wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:12:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That was *exactly* my problem with the R8, Ted. I had to keep "looking at
>the machine" to see if some setting had changed all by itself! VERY
>frustrating and what finally ended my partnership with the R8. I'm not a
>klutz, but after almost every aerial photo flight, the R8 made me feel like
>one.<<<<<<<
>

>Hi Gary,
>
>Yes I recall some folks having this "things turning too freely." I believe
>Tina had similar complaints. As far as I can remember I only had it happen
>once or twice, fortunately I caught them before any disaster occurred.

It still happens to me when I cram the camera into the kayak under the forward
deck, then pull it out again.  Remember, this is a kayak: limited space, a bit
wobbly even in flat water, plus I'm trying to keep track of a bird that has the
annoying habit of diving when I'm not looking.  The R9's mode lock button would
be a big help!

Suppose you've been following a grebe for a few hours letting it get used to
seeing me at close range, the bird finally figures out that I'm just bobbing on
the water like he is, I raise the camera to my eye, push the button and it's
DEAD.  Thinking I'd killed the battery I rummage through my bag of spare parts,
find a fresh battery, pop it in the camera while stowing the "dead" battery so
it doesn't go overboard, and the camera is still dead!

Turns out the mode selector dial brushed against my starboard-side leg as I was
pulling the camera out from under the forward deck, and it moved from 'm' for
manual to nowheresville meaning it was off.  About the time I'd gotten this
figured out the grebe decides it's time for another dive.  #@!!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com