[LRflex] Re: Design catastrophe

  • From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:32:57 -0700

Doug Herr offered:

>>>Suppose you've been following a grebe for a few hours letting it get used
to seeing me at close range, the bird finally figures out that I'm just
bobbing on the water like he is, I raise the camera to my eye, push the
button and it's DEAD.  Thinking I'd killed the battery I rummage through my
bag of spare parts, find a fresh battery, pop it in the camera while stowing
the "dead" battery so it doesn't go overboard, and the camera is still dead!

Turns out the mode selector dial brushed against my starboard-side leg as I
was pulling the camera out from under the forward deck, and it moved from
'm' for manual to nowheresville meaning it was off.  About the time I'd
gotten this figured out the grebe decides it's time for another dive.
#@!!<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Doug,

OUCH!!!! And you miss what might have been the picture of the year! :-(

I don't re-call any conversation this problem was ever addressed by Leica
since the R8 came out. Or there was some kind of modification that could be
installed to avert these changes?

Like I said, "I don't think when Leica is testing new gear they do not give
the cameras to real shooters. But rather give them to "big name" peol ewho
they think will impress the masses therefore selling more cameras because
"What's his face" the worlds greatest whatever tested the camera. Therefoe
it must be perfect!   Yeah Right!"

ted