Re: Nathan's PAW 6: Driving to work

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:25:34 -0800

Harrison McClary said:
Subject: Re: Nathan's PAW 6: Driving to work

What you have done here is one thing that is very hard for many people
to do.  To find that unusual beauty in the world where they live and
work....these scenes you see everyday.  Instead of becoming jaded to
them you have kept your eyes open, seen the beauty and captured it.<<<

Hi Harrison,
This is so true and we hear the same old cop out excuse all the time. "there's nothing here it's the same old thing!" It's absolutely a great big pile of DUNG!

Nathan on the other hand has a wonderful pair of "Seeing eyes and life outlook" on the world around him, therefore he see's beauty where others can't see their feet! Let alone the beauty of a frosty morning as Nathan has shown in his frosty morning photographs.

In reality many people start out with a negative attitude toward their surroundings and stop looking, therefore they might as well stay home and play with their computer. Then we hear the wet nurse line of " Now if I were in Fiji could I take great pictures!" Like I said above... " a big pile of dung! Because if you can't find and shoot solid photographs in your own back yard, your pictures in far off lands wont look much better!"

I do a monthly critique and assignment for the local camera club.
Last month I assigned them to show everyone the beauty of where they
lived, worked or somewhere here in the Nashville area they frequent.<<<<,

And I bet they all got up at their same old time, never on Sunday or Saturday, they didn't do anything in the rain, snow? ;-) good, bad or ugly weather of any kind. Then as you say >>>> I got only one entry that was what I call a real attempt....<<<<<<<<

Unfortunately that's life for many and I will add pro's as well, simply because "there's nothing in this town because they have blinders on from the moment they wake-up!"

However! Get up before the sun, get out and walk around your neighbourhood as the sun comes up and those who have any kind of sight at all will find beauty because ...... they are looking at their world with new eyes at a different time of the day!

Walk in the same old path day after day at the same time with open eyes and it becomes boring. Walk in the same path..... just once at dawn........ and you find beauty! Try it if you don't believe me, as I've been there and done it more times than I can count! Damn and it's such a simple thing to do.

ted