[lcfbtech] Question about PC Security

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lcfbtech" <lcfbtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:23:07 -0700

This is a very quiet list, but I have a question and hope to receive some
input.

I have a PC which runs Windows 7.
About a month ago, I received an email from UPS which turned out to be spam.
Because I was expecting an important package shipped by UPS I acted hastily
and clicked on the link in the email which said "contact us".  This link
took me to the UPS website. I did not open the attached supposed invoice.

When I phoned UPS they knew nothing about the email.
The next day I received a second similar email and phoned UPS again.  The
agent advised me to forward the emails to fraud.UPS.com.
Because I had clicked on a link in the first email, I ran a complete virus
scan with Microsoft Security essentials and received the status
"proptected".
Several weeks later, my computer suddenly shut down and restarted with the
message that an unauthorized shut down had occurred.
Someone advised me to install "malwarebytes". I installed the free program
and scanned the computer; no threats were found.
Everything seems fine.  Yesterday I ran malwarebytes again with the latest
updates and no threats were found.  The same with another full scan with
Microsoft Security Essentials. I hear the wstatus "protected", but I do not
hear the message "no threats found" as I used to with Windows XP.
I still feel anxious because I have read stories of "Trojan horses" lurking
and not being seen by virus protection programs; one person said that they
had to run their computer in "safe mode" to detect the threat.

Do you think that I am in fact safe or should I take additional actions to
check my computer and if so what actions?
I do shop a lot online and so am concerned.

Lori C.