[klaatumail] Re: Klaatu happenings!

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 12:15:51 -0400

At Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 12:59:11 Bill wrote:

> Unless the CDs are going to use a different format such as DVD audio, HDCD or
> SACD, how much better can they be than the Bullseye CDs?
> By the way if there are any Cars fans out there I highly recommend "The
> Cars", "Candy-O" and "Panorama" CDs that have the HDCD process.
>
> The sound is excellent and a big upgrade from the original CDs.

The Bullseye 2001 remaster was done from a 44.1kHz DAT master....blown up to
88.2 at 24bit...then dithered back down to 16bit for the CD.

This new remaster is going all the way back to the analog source tape,
transferred to a digital hard-drive at 176.4 kHz @ 32 bit...then mastered in
that same configuration before being dithered to 16 bit. HOWEVER, we are also
looking at the prospect of a DAC option where you could get 176.4kHz @ 24 bit
in .WAV form on a DVD-R. All the fans would need is software to convert it to
the sound system of their choice. But right now that's merely an IDEA I've run
by Draper as per some requests by fans.

Jaimie