[klaatumail] Re: Klaatu happenings!

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:58:07 -0400

> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:25:12 +0000

> I thought the Bullseye remaster was from the original analog source tape.

No. We used the DAT safety copy that had been created by the band from the
source tape in the '90s.

> As for converting to another file are you talking FLAC or something like
> that?
> Although I appreciate the effort, It seems like you may have to be a computer
> geek to purchase this product.

The audio files are just larger than normally found on a CD - the resolution of
sound is bigger. So, instead of getting a .WAV file on a CD (which is standard
for all regular audio discs), you'd get them on a DVD. Yes, you'd need software
to convert it and listen to it...but that's something many people are willing
to put up with to get better sounding audio.

> That won't help sales as most people probably want to just buy it and play
> it, preferably without using a computer to do so.

It WILL bring audiophiles to the party...many of whom would not buy the
Bullseye re-issue because of a, perceived, sound quality issue.

We're not talking about using this option INSTEAD of a CD....it's going to be
offered as an additional way people can listen to it. So far, the band is
offering a standard CD, 320 kbps MP3s, most probably vinyl, and maybe DVD-R
hi-rez audio. If there was a big request fo 8-track tape and cassette those
might be given consideration too. I think it's in the band's best interest to
make these songs available in formats other than those offered by the major
labels.

Jaimie