[klaatumail] Re: King Crimson (no kk)

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:28:13 -0400

> So - on that subject...  just how unlikely would it be
> to ever hear Klaatu on DVD Audio in surround?

Some songs no longer exist in multi-track, so remixing them would be
impossible (for example, Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby).

Some multi-track tapes were long ago filed away by Crapitol in the US
and the band never got the tapes (for example, the Endangered Species
album).

Transferring the multi-track tapes, examining the available tracks to
determine the original settings in the stereo mix, and then remixing in
surround sound requires lots of money, which the band does not have.

I seriously doubt you're going to see such revisionist remixing.  Klaatu
were intended to be an aural odyssey in stereo.  To that effect, their
mixes work wonders, especially in headphones in a darkened room.  We've
got incredible sounding remasters of all 5 albums plus tons of alternate
mixes.  I'd say leave it at that.

Dave