[klaatumail] Re: King Crimson (no kk)

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:28:09 -0400

At Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:50:53 Robert wrote:

> Wow! what do record companies do with important catalogs like the
> Beatles?

LOTS of back-ups. I believe RCA/BMG records does a complete system back-up of
their ELVIS archives every 5 years.

> I thought CD-R were cast in stone! But a cd given to me from a friend
> of his music ten years ago is already showing deterioration. I
> transferred it to my hard disk but the loss remains.
>
> The final question is, then, what IS an archival medium?

Because Bullseye is a young label so to speak, archiving hasn't been an
issue....YET. Though the glitch on that multi-track Klaatu transfer to ADAT
turned out to be a problem, in my experience that was an uncommon occurrance.

All our stereo masters, including anything Bullseye released back on vinyl and
cassette in the day, are archived using various back-up systems. Many years ago
Dave Bradley helped me transfer all the early Bullseye stuff from 1/4" tape to
DAT. I have, in the intervening years, made back-up copies AND CDRs for safety
reasons. These masters occupy about 1/2 the basement space in my house. I also
have acquired, by circumstance, 1/4", 1" and 2" master tapes of some of the
artists on my label like Goddo and Bob Segarini -- because the artists
themselves do not possess the proper storage facilities to preserve these tapes.

In the case of Klaatu's recordings (multi-track and mono & stereo
mixes)....they STILL remain on reel-to-reel tape in a climate controlled area
of John Woloschuk's house. The stereo masters of the completed 5 Klaatu studio
albums used in CD manufacturing for the past 20 years are preserved to DAT and
have multiple copies backed up on CDR. Similarly, there are TWO safety copies
on DAT and CDR of 'Peaks', 'Sun Set', 'Raarities' and the hybrid 'Solology'
release. Artwork is also backed up on CDRs.

As time presses on, I still feel these are the most reliable mediums we have as
neither myself, nor the band members, trust hard-drives for archiving. Dee
actually lost ALL the first mixes for the 6 live tracks that were on 'Solology'
that he had done in 2005 beacuse the hard-drive he was using died...which is
part of the reason why it took so long to get the songs remixed.

Jaimie Vernon,
President, Bullseye Records
1-800-JOE-RADI(O) // 1-800-563-7234
CDs: http://www.bullseyecanada.com
MP3s: http://www.bullseyesongs.com
RADIO: http://www.radiothatdoesntsuck.com
SWAG: http://www.cafepress.com/bullseyecanada
TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/bullseyecanada
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/bullseyecanada

Author, Canadian Pop Music Encyclopedia
http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Pop_Encyclopedia/

PERSONAL - http://www.myspace.com/jaimievernonsmovingtargetz
               - http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/Jaimie-Vernon
BLOG - http://verminator.livejournal.com
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/jaimievernon

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?66047