[kismac] Re: WANTED (dead or alive)

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:21:01 +0200

hi ard, hello list...

>>  > 1) Can we have a feature to save the admin password somewhere so I
>>>  don't have to reenter it every time I launch?
>>
>> mmh i do not believe this is good idea. and actually it is not kismac,
>> which asks for the password, but the security subsystem of macos x.
>> kismac used to do this in another way (which would have allowed the
>> saving, but it has been way too insecure). i will sleep over this, but
>> i guess it would cause a lot of headaches...
>
> 'allow Kismac to use keychain' maybe?

first of all this is not really possible in out case, since kismac
basically uses internal routines of apple, which only allow a user to
enter his password, but not a program. second i dont know whether it
would be a good idea to store a root password inside a keychain, which
can easily be copied to another system, and be decrypted there.
i have another idea. i think it would be a better idea, to flag the
shell programs, which actually load the driver as SUID root. this would
give us the opportunity to run kismac without root privileges. only
installation/deininstallation will require you to enter your
password... this would of course also enable other users on your system
to use kismac (which you might not like), but i think on laptop systems
such cases are rather rare.

mick