[kismac] Re: WANTED (dead or alive)

  • From: Bob Cunningham <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:22:39 -1000

I'm not sure where all the AirPortUserClients come from, but
when I ran "ioreg | grep AirPort" right after seeing your message,
(I had the menu extra up then), I saw three on my 500MHz G3 iBook
(10.2.6):

% ioreg | grep AirPort
     | |   |   | +-o AirPortDriver  <class AirPortDriver>
     | |   |   |   +-o AirPortUserClient  <class AirPortUserClient>
     | |   |   |   +-o AirPortUserClient  <class AirPortUserClient>
     | |   |   |   +-o AirPortUserClient  <class AirPortUserClient>

Wondering what would happen if I turned off the menu extra,
I fired up Internet Connect to un-check the check box, and
then (with Internet Connect still running) saw two:

ioreg | grep AirPort
     | |   |   | +-o AirPortDriver  <class AirPortDriver>
     | |   |   |   +-o AirPortUserClient  <class AirPortUserClient>
     | |   |   |   +-o AirPortUserClient  <class AirPortUserClient>

Quitting Internet Connect, I then saw only one.  Starting it
up again, I saw two again.  So, I played around with it a bit more.
And at different times saw one, two, or three.

I don't fully understand it, but it seems that the AirPortDriver
has varying numbers of AirPortUserClient(s) depending upon:

        whether or not packets are in transit on the en1 inteface
        whether or not the menu extra is there (and maybe on whether
                it is actually checking the signal level)
        whether or not Internet Connect is running  (it seems to check
                the signal level more often than the menu extra)

... but the correlation between those is poor.  Maybe some
of those AirPortUserClient instances come and go depending
upon activity (or lack of it) of the device itself (en1), the menu
extra, and/or Internet Connect, perhaps?