[kismac] Re: Orinoco Cards

  • From: Ryan Verner <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:38:14 +1030

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 09:23 PM, Michael Rossberg wrote:
>> Does KisMac support these orinico cards?
>
> yes we do
>
>>  Is another driver required?
>
> yes, it is a part of kismac. it is called macjack.
>
>> Will it run in rfmon/monitor mode?
>
> yes.

Whoa.

Okay, I just went for a wardrive here in Adelaide running kismac.

I'm really f*cking impressed.  It picked up 30 AP's, and I did the same
trip the night before in Linux on the same machine with Kismet, and I
think it picked up six or seven?

Wierd, I wouldn't imagine the power levels would be any different, but
its the same laptop/card.

Using speech preferences to allow me to talk to it is really, really
cool too - I say scan, it scans :-)

Two things I'd love to see is automatically saving the AP list - I had
it logging into a pcap file which ethereal read perfectly, but I lost
the AP list (so now that I've gotten out the car I don't know what AP's
I got *g*)... something I always liked with netstumbler was loading a
previous list, so I could gain a huge list of every AP I've ever
stumbled.  The other is having the IP range if found displayed on the
main screen.  Apart from that, its awesome, especially considering its
an alpha release :-)

I successfully compiled the new kernel (Mac OS X seems faster now too -
wierd), and closing the lid occasionally causes my entire powerbook to
turn off - anybody know about heat issues with the 500mhz units?
Leaving the unit on for say a hour with the lid closed won't cause any
major issues?

Cheers

- -- -
Ryan Verner <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
PGP: 5819 DE5D B5AE 9381 7E60  5B4C 45CC 64DF D3CC EB07

ICQ: 76626240                   IRC: xf / irc.oublinet.net
PH: +61 418 186 604             EQ: Mummer (Bard), Tholuxe

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.