[kismac] Re: GPSD Support for KisMAC?

  • From: ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:06:07 +0200

>I'm a big fan of GPSDrive (gpsdrive.de), which I usually use for
>navigational purposes when (war)driving. While I love Kismac, the
>calibrating of maps and what not is still too cumbersome for me, and being
>a macosx user, I can't take advantage of GPSDrive's Kismet support.
>
>GPSDrive includes a GPSd daemon that other programs like gpsmap (on
>sourceforge) can connect to. Have you thought about adding support to
>kismac for this? I havn't looked into it, but I think it just opens the
>gps (serial) port, and then binds to a tcp port and dumps NMEA
>information.
>
>I currently can't use gpsdrive and kismac at the same time with gps
>features (even if i'm not using kismacs mapping functionality, i'd like to
>have APs i've found stamped with their coordinates), because gpsdrive
>opens the serial port to start gpsd, and then kismac can't get an
>exclusive lock (duh).
>
>What do you guys think?

Wouldn't it be more useful to have an AppleEvent or AppleScript
executed in Kismac on various occasions, depending on the user's
wishes:
1) every time a GPS coordinate is received (bread crum trace)
2) every time a base station is encountered
3)...
and have this AppleScript contain the argument of the AppleScript be
a) a NMEA sentence in case 1) above, and b) the station information
in case 2) above? The latter could include all info as avalable under
the 'networks' tab of Kismac, or when an appropriate check is set,
the whole 'more info' set of stuff describing all ins and outs of the
station at that moment.

I've been thinking about writing a FileMaker application to process
these kind of strings, but you might cast in any application
(Object-Image image processing application from simon.bio.uva comes
to mind) to do the imaging stuff.

In this case Kismac can take care of the GPS as it likes, yet the
info remains available for other issues.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ard