[kismac] Re: GPSD Support for KisMAC?

  • From: "William H. Leininger" <whlm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:58:15 -0500

>  >
>>  depending on how the server is implemented, only one process at a
>>  time can be talking to the server.
>
>Well I'll have to peek and see if it spawns a new gpsd thread for every
>new connection to it or not, but I think we're missing the point.
>
>Okay, having this be UDP based would be neat, and more scaleable and
>flexible, but my point to begin with is that GPSd is out there, and
>while its obviously not a very polished protocol, its there.

I'd be willing to work on it, if it weren't for the fact that KisMAC
does not currently work on my machine. (Or rather, MacJack causes it
to lock up.)

I'd suggest that the first step is a program that puts a graphical
front end on turning gpsd on and off, along with a menu for selecting
the serial device it is supposed to be talking to.  There is Apple
example code for enumerating all the serial devices on a machine
which is a good start for this.  There does not currently seem to be
Apple example code for a System Preferences panel, but people seem to
be able to write them none-the-less, which is sort of where I thought
this should go.