[JA] Re: Moving Juno

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 01:12:30 -0400

BCVB> I wonder, however, how Geoffrey Wilson (below) was able
> to simply copy a Juno installation, or any other program.
> I was always under the impression that doing so would
> not make necessary registry entries, etc., and
> therefore the program would not work properly.

There are programs for which this is completely true because they
completely depend on proper installation.  There are programs for this is
not at all true, especially games, because they only need the executable
program and data files in their directory.  Most programs, however, are
like Juno.  They work partially from a mere copy without any other
adjustments but some features don't work.  Experimenting can show which
ones are which.

> From: geoffrey l wilson

>GIW> I coped the entire Juno folder contents to a zip disk and took
> that to the new machine, copying it into the appropriate place
> C:\program files.  Then I put a shortcut to JUNO.EXE on the desktop.

For me this method always worked.  I am writing to you from a copy of a
copy... probably fourth generation, maybe fifth or even sixth.  Usually
the copy was by Norton Commander Link, sometimes by XCOPY or drag and
drop.  Each time, Juno mail worked and Juno Web didn't.  Mail is more
important anyway, and I crawl more Web by NetZero than by Juno.  When I
wanted Juno Web to work, it meant running the Juno 4.11 installation
file.  Presumably the required Registry keys etc could be entered
manually if someone cared to study how to do it.

Oh, and George was right about MACU.  It does not work with Juno 4 and
later.  I also forgot to bring his message correcting my error in this
matter.

We free riders get a free trial of Juno Platinum today, Sunday.  Maybe
I'll go online for an hour or two.