[JA] Re: Blank Messages and other problems

  • From: bob.in.jersey@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:28:53 EDT

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 06:57:37 EDT, Leslie Gottlieb wrote:

> The blank messages I get are usually viruses. I save them as text
> and look at the headers. The last one I got was traceable to
> someone I know..Hope they got an anti-virus program.

I got a blank-with-attachment today from a "marktplaats.nl" addy.

The sending path included two "wanadoo.nl" nodes, and IP checking
with Spade verified their identity.

Whatever text was all in Dutch, and the one web page ref I could
find, likewise all Dutch.

The attach had a .htm.pif filename suffix, but being in Juno that
would not get it flagged as suspicious by, say, Zonealarm.

I saved the attach and virus-scanned it, that came up empty.

Then I thought, ZA will still say =something= if I open it, and
surely it did:

"Do you want JAAF.exe to act as a server?"

Hell no, I thought, and nixed it.

It installed a JAAF.exe in c:\windows\system, and OAA.exe in my
StartUp folder.  They also came up clean by virus standards.

Must be a porn dialer, calling Europe somewhere at astronomical
rates.  Idiots...

--
BOB