[jhb] Re: OT: Plot multiple locations in Google Maps

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:06:01 +0100

Bones

I finally got this to produce the sort of display that SWMBO was looking for. UK postcodes on their own don't work - as you thought, only the first four characters are picked up. Worse than that, because the mapping tool only reads the first four characters a lot of the data which were LE16 and LE17 postcodes were resolved as only one pin on the map. So then I tried street addresses plus town/village name without postcodes - but this produced pins in Australia, N America, S Africa where towns/villages of the same name took priority (?? related to population??). Next I tried adding "England" as another field but this still produced the same - pins in Australia, etc. So I removed "England" and added the postcodes back in - but this still gave the same result!! Finally, when I added *both* "England" *and* UK postcode to the street address plus town/village I got what I was looking for.

Thanks for turning this web site up.

Mike L

On 22/04/2010 07:59, Mike Lucas wrote:
Looks interesting, although the screenshot is based on US zip codes.
Will have a look at it later to see if it works with our UK ones.

Mike L

On 22/04/2010 00:55, Fossil wrote:

However, in my search I found this site - http://www.batchgeo.com/ -
which