[jhb] Re: Glassonby Airfield

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:06:03 -0000

I can't recall the name of the original Irish site but it had airfields
going back to WW2 and very comprehensive notes for each one of them. With so
few airfields he could afford to do this - a task somewhat impossible for me
without creating pages for every airfield.

Unfortunately I can't provide the same level of historical accuracy as I
only started listing Irish airfields on starting in ATC in 1968. I don't
have any earlier data at all, nor have I found the resources to get this
information - at least not to the same comprehensive level.

Having said that, with no obvious online data I might review my own stuff
and publish a new page for Ireland. At least it might kick start some
further work if people see some effort being made. It's worth doing because
Ireland has some very interesting aviation history -especially during WW2. I
presume their neutrality and later politics dictated their silence on what
went on but they were not as neutral as many suppose.

http://woodair.net