[jhb] Re: Glassonby Airfield

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:54:39 -0000

Strange place for airfields is Ireland - they are far more transitory than
in the UK.

When I first drew up a list of UK airfields in 1994 the list also included
all known Irish airfields. Over the years only the paved airfields have
remained static and almost all grass strips I knew then have gone. Even some
paved airfields have waning fortunes with the once very popular Castlebar
now closed after losing all its traffic to Knock.

Galway nearly closed too after Aer Arann fell out with the owner and moved
to a new site at Connemara. It only survived because it had been earmarked
for regional development (EU funding) and this duly saw the building of a
new runway - as also happened at Donegal, Sligo, Kerry and Waterford.

When I published the UK airfield data I decided that I wouldn't include the
Irish listing as there was a site already covering this information.
Unfortunately this site disappeared some time ago so I don't think there is
any online data for historical Irish airfields - just the usual sites that
cover currently active listings.

http://woodair.net