[jhb] Re: Faroes

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:03:31 +0100

Mention of text reminds me of a point I overlooked.

On my multiscreen setup, locating the IVAO window isn't a problem. When John, who has a similar config, and Fred were at EGNS on Friday, it was clear that it's a problem when using just a single screen. The suggested solutions were either to make the appropriate clicks to make it disappear and return, or to drag it to a point where only one corner is on screen. That way it can be dragged back when needed.

The point I overlooked is that the automatic processes mean it's handy to have it in view, if at all possible. It was only after the event that I noticed that the handover from London Control to Scottish Control was preceeded by a window message, telling me what info I needed to pass to the new controller, when making contact. That's very useful but only if it's possible to view the window.

With the prices of older and smaller flat screens plummeting, a second monitor is a well worth while buy. You can displace the instrument panel to the second, also the IVAO window. Better still is the fact you have one screen full of lovely scenery. Another plus point is that it automatically pushes you in the direction of looking more out of the windows.

Anyone doing this can have access to any of the panels that I've already modified, so the transition should be a no pain job. If you're using an uncommon aircraft, then it will only take me a couple of hours to modify it for you.

Gerry Winskill

bones wrote:

Another reason for the decline in use of the JHB_OPS channel was the
necessity, when controller numbers grew, of a channel for ATC co-ordination.
This saw a split in ranks in a way but the UK_ATC channel was essential in
the early days for both coordinating traffic (which it is still used for)
and some basic ATC help to the other members.

I joked at one point that three channels would have been useful but it is
true. One for operations, one for either UK_ATC or JHB_OPS and a third would
have been ideal for controller training. The last needs a separate channel
as it is constantly active but the only time I tried this meant that I had
no spare for normal ATC co-ordination and was unable to talk to any
controller other than the trainee.

In real life a controller would have three regular communication channels.
One would be the radio - a frequency to the aircraft coupled with a domestic
frequency to ground traffic (missing in IVAO but very busy at any airport).
The second would be the intercom - to other ATC positions or direct lines to
Centre controllers. The third would be vocal - talking to others in the room
whether trainees, assistants or other essential personnel. A controller
could easily have four or five conversations going at once - one to an
aircraft, one on intercom to Tower/Radar, one to a vehicle on the airfield,
one to a trainee and maybe one to the Works Supervisor who may be in the
tower discussing a trench he wants to dig across the airfield. The absence
of ground operations in IVAO makes the job a doddle <vbg>.

In IVAO co-ordination between ATC is automatic once handover points/levels
are agree between two positions - this agreement being conducted on text.
Any further discussion is also by text although there is not a lot to be
said really. I can see a need for a second channel for trainees and mentors
but I don't know how this is done in IVAO.

The JHB_OPS channel is very useful for pilots provided they aren't tuned to
(or ought to be) on an active ATC frequency. Whilst under an ATC service the
Ops channel can't be touched. Maybe we ought to dig out our old copies of
Roger Wilco and use this for additional channels..