[jhb] Re: Computer upgrade advice please??

  • From: "Frank Fisher" <ffisher991@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 14:29:31 +0100

Adam
I will run rings around my 3 year old setup, and that is no slouch with FSX
Frank
    From: "Paul Reynolds"
    To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Message
    The guidelines for OEM re-activation is whether the machine is primarily
the same machine.  As you may be aware, OEM stands for Original Equipment
Manufacturer and allows PC builders to supply windows pre-installed.  MS will
retail OEM Windows cheaper because any compatability issues should be resolved
by the manufacturer not them. As you are looking at replacing both the
Motherboard and Processor, MS could ligitimately claim this is not the same
machine and refuse re-activation.  They would advise you to seek redress from
the manufacturer. If you do the upgrade yourself that would be you and a new
copy of Windows would be required.  Then you would have a choice of useing
another OEM or getting the full version which if you did the same again would
be trasferrable provided it is running only on one PC at a time.

    Paul