[jhb] Re: Computer upgrade advice please??

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 17:14:15 +0100

Flight sims (or at least the MS products) were originally CPU intensive because
graphics cards in FS4 days were not that powerful. Despite the evolution of the
sim and the increasing need for a good graphics card it is still true that the
CPU does a lot of work so I suspect your Intel Core 2 is throttling the system.

Dell, Compaq and HP machines used to require proprietary hardware which made
upgrading difficult and if this is still so your solution is correct. Get a new
case and bang in a new mobo/CPU/memory bundle. Add your PSU and GTX560 plus
your hard drives and DVD player plus any other bits and pieces.

When you start the new machine Windows should run but it will probably come up
with a warning that new hardware has been detected and Windows will need
registering again. Depending on whether you had an OEM or full version this may
be OK or possibly MS may say no. I’ve had mixed results over the years with
them allowing some through but a couple of OEM upgrades were rejected.

http://woodair.net