RE: XP Pro

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:18:37 -0700

Hi Laura and others,
The following article would be useful to you and others in understanding
economic principles governing this different versions of JAWS:
I understand. But you need to know why FS and other companies are doing
product differentiation:
Many people are skeptical about different versions of a given software
appearing on the market. Some question the validity of this practice, saying
that there should be one, unified release that works regardless of operating
system types under Windows. While this may sound appropriate, this turns out
to be not so: product differentiation mainly arises due to market
segmentation. Just like we have different looks and desires, different
market segments exists to cater to level of computing and demand for
software based on usage, reliability and other factors.
Home market segment, as JAWS Standard is targeting, requires thorough
understanding of how home users of computer products use computerized
equipment everyday at home. This is not as technically challenging as other
segment, but requires investigations into why and how home users use
computers. Some of the reasons would be connecting to the Internet at home,
using home desktop to perform everyday functions such as writing documents
and so forth. Also, users of "home editions" of software has fewer options
when it comes to advanced operating system customization; this is due to
current market assumptions that a user of home versions is likely to use his
or her computer at a setting where few users on a home network would use
such computer software.
In contrast, the business and enthusiast market, which JAWS Professional
targets, is somewhat more complex than home segment. This group includes
businesses of all sizes, technical enthusiasts such as students (especially
engineering students like myself) and analysts, and those who prefer more
advanced customizations. Due to these wide variety of subgroups, developers
of "business" editions of software needs to consider technicalities and
higher demand that is expected from this group, which calls, among other
things, computer stability and reliability into question. This is a
"significant" contrast to home users, whose main goal is to "get the job
done at home" with minimal economic spending.
A newer market segment, receiving prominence in the last two to three years,
is a subgroup of consumer market who want features not found on their own
product, but these persons have no monetary resources to upgrade to the
higher edition. This market segment, known as "budget users," pay for the
lower version of a software, and, when they are ready, pay for an upgrade
fee to upgrade their software to the  higher edition. JAWS is not an
exception here: one can upgrade from Standard to Pro with a nominal fee
(from what I've seen here). Another well-known example, something that I
have experimented with (and documentet in my Guide to Vista tutorial in
overview form), is Windows Vista's Anytime Upgrade feature. In this case,
one can purchase "home" edition of Vista, then pay some money to upgrade to
Ultimate edition (which is what I have).*1
In conclusion, in our discussion of JAWS "subversions," as I come to think
of it myself, the principle of market segmenhtation and differentiation
applies here (don't be confused with a similar term in calculus). Just as
mainstream software caters to different market segments, JAWS subversions
target different audiences. Whereas JAWS Standard's main audience is home
users (particularly those who are budget users or ones who use Home editions
of Windows), JAWS Professional aims to set footing in business and
enthusiast market where higher computing power is expected, thus leading to
different versions of a given product.
In my opinion, this "OS-based deal and arrangement" sounds fair enough - at
least mild). There are worst cases where another screen reader (one in South
Korea) runs on all operating systems, but the product differentiation lies
not with OS, but based on individual usage of Office and other applications;
higher editions of this screen reader provides such features as Dictionary
and support for all Office apps, whereas basic version of this product does
not support Word 2007 properly. This feature-based differentiation is
something that, in my assumptions, many users would not accept - well, at
least due to different expectations in South Korea as opposed to here in
United States and elsewhere. Personally, it is better to stick to this
OS-based differentiation model (at least, we want all the features of JAWS
to run on regardless of any operating system for at least demo mode,
right?). I understand some people's sentiment at FS taking our money - after
all, FS is just another business that uses business models and market
expectations to develop its products; thus, the statement about "... FS is
all about money ... " is, in my opinion, "illogical" and "unscientific" in
mild terms. Let us not judge a product vased on money - after all, we (the
users) are the ones who push JAWS to its limits and who want better software
and desires about JAWS in the first place...
Notes:
*1: Under some circumstances, one can buy upgrade (not the full install)
version of Vista edition and install it as full version (I have done this
numerous times with 100% success rate).
Hope I didn't sound too argumentative. If I message sounded harsh, I
apologize - it was meant to be educational and informative - just presenting
my thoughts and opinions here. (When I develop any software, I'll make sure
that it is FREE... well, I won't be able to produce anything until I get BS
in computer science from UCR; I'm just a beginning CS student...). Hope this
helps.
Cheers,
Joseph P.S. If you have any comments, feel free to contact me.